There are five well-funded Article V advocacy groups crisscrossing the country using different excuses for supporting a convention:
- The Convention of State Project (COS) promises fiscal restraints, to limit the power & jurisdiction of the federal government and term limits for federal officials.
- The Balanced Budget Amendment Task Force (BBATF) and
- The Compact for America (CfA), both are pushing Balanced Budget Amendments which are very different from each other.
- U.S. Term Limits is promoting congressional term limits.
All four groups are attracting conservatives and Republicans who like the titles of the legislation and don’t understand the repercussions of either the legislation or an impending convention.
- The 5th group is meant to attract the radical left. “Free and Fair Elections” comes to you compliments of George Soros and the Socialist/Communist contingent: Wolf PAC, Young Turks, Move to Amend, Occupy groups and hundreds of progressive organizations who say they want an Article V convention to “restore our democracy” with an Amendment which would end corporate personhood, reverse the Citizens United decision, and publicly finance all elections in our country.
Imagine a convention endowed with more power than the federal government, populated by activists with a commitment to “social justice” as their purpose and no allegiance to the Constitution.